My car died today. Not entirely, just a dead battery. I was busy chatting on the phone when I pulled into my parking space at Target. Not quite ready to get out I let my 5 year old climb up in the front seat with me. I continued my conversation while he turned into speed racer, flicking every switch, turning every knob. I didn't give it another thought. Finished my conversation and went about my shopping. And then it happened. As I approached my car I pushed the button to open the trunk...nothing. I tried to unlock the doors...nothing. I actually had to put the key into the keyhole and turn it to unlock the car. I got in, put my key in the ignition and turned...nothing. Great! I still had errands and kids to pick up from school. It was clear, though, I was going nowhere.
My phenomenal husband saved me with a quick jump and I was on my way again (slight 1 1/2 hour delay). And it was then that I realized that Jason had turned the lights on, which I would have noticed had I not been distracted with the phone call. So, I got to thinking. What am I unnecessarily distracted with? What am I overlooking that could be important in the long run? And are either of these things zapping the life out of me? We can put so much time and effort into things that seem important at the time, but in a much bigger picture...let's face it, they aren't. These things, these chores, can consume us and even deplete us, making us useless to others and even to the things that really do need our attention.
Let me encourage you, step back. Take a look at the big picture. Listen when people (especially children) talk to you. Look them in the face and listen. Plan ahead, stop winging it and then being upset because you didn't get everything done. Set time aside for you. You will never be enough for anyone else if you're not the person you want to be. Always work toward a better you. Big picture, folks...this is why we're here.
About Me
- Kristi
- I'm 36, 37 this year...40 is just around the corner. In fact, I can see the top of the hill. The top doesn't bother me. It's that other side I'm a little concerned about. Everything to this point has been expected. College, marriage, kids, home. But, what's next? 40...not too long ago that was so much older than it is now. Don't get me wrong, I couldn't be happier. (Well, some days I could) But overall, life is good. Good, and tiresome. So, here's a peek into my days of grudgingly making my way up that hill, three kids and hubby in tow.
See? Here I am, reading your blog! ;) And now, I'm commenting!
ReplyDeleteYa know, I was telling Mom just the other day...I have a real problem with focus. I can WANT to be a great daughter, a great sister, a great friend, a great teacher, a great servant...but, for me, it's usually all about what's brightest, who's loudest, or what's most pressing at THAT specific moment in time. The distractions of this world are loud and obnoxious most times...and I don't know about you, but I tend to respond immediately to loud and obnoxious. Then it's usually, "Now, wait, what was I doing just before that loud and obnoxious distraction got me completely off track?" Okay. I don't really have complete sentence thoughts like that...but it's nice to pretend ;)
C.S. Lewis once wrote that it is the greatest scheme of the devil to convince us we have tomorrow. I am often convinced of that and I lose sight of what I truly need to be focusing on today...which is TODAY! It's so hard to think about how short our time is here when everything around us tells us we've got all the time in the world. I guess that's the truest statement...if we never gain focus on the Truth and only focus on what this world has to offer, we will indeed have ALL the time in this world. Yikes!
Lord, please quiet the distractions and steady my focus...'cause I'm like a little kid in a candy shop some days. May I not choose the fireball for it's colorful, exciting package...please lead me to the family size Skittles where I will find plenty to sustain, a variety to keep my palate satisfied, and enough to share.
(I totally stole that candy store thing from one of Todd's stories about his kids). I'll have to tell you the whole story sometime. Love you!! And thanks for bloggin'! I'm gonna love reading it!!! ;)